We on Rootstack are attending to lots of events every year regarding Opensource, Software development, Software consultancy / any event related to the services that Rootstack provides.
This time i went to the Oscon on Austin Texas, here are my findings:
Basic information about the event:
First impressions of the event:
- Audience: I think that the event had 1000 people
The event gathers:
- Developers who are involved on opensource software / use opensource in their daily basis.
- Companies who sale their products
- Some companies who sale agreggated services, more like support but no consultancy / development firms with booths
There were lots of technologies that were on the event, some on tracks, others were presented on booths, other ones just on stickers and badges.
A cool thing that i have to say is that on lunch, every table had a theme like: ruby, php, nodejs, angular, data guys, apache, mongodb.
Comments that i can say about some technologies of tracks that i went:
// Most of the other tracks that i went were not centered to a specific technology.
There were cool booths on the event, some of the companies that i remember that had booths were:
- Red hat: They had an old mustang
- IBM: Inmediatly when you entered the event was IBM, they are doing cool things on the integrating sectors and doing standard API's to cover different markets
- Datadog: Will sure try out their API monitoring solution, does more things, have to try it out
- Sendgrid: We have used send grid on couple of projects so i passed and talked with them.
- Indeed: They raffle a drone, lots of people where entusiastic to win the drone.
Enrichment / Knowledge
- There were couple interesting tracks of CI that were very interesting, they talked about how to do integrations with some of them and managing large projects, we have used this on Rootstack but its always good to get more knowledge.
- Angularjs to Angular4: Interesting conference, myself knows a little bit of AngularJS but good to know about how to migrate since i have been involved on couple of AngularJS projects.
- Graphql query API's solution : This was interesting for me to checkout since this need of mapping types and fields with multiple API's is very cool, this gets on a highly need that any company has on re-utilizing query's to api's and analizing data on a more consistent way. Also porting api'querys to different solutions.
In my opinion i have gone to other events that have a more technical tracks compared to non-technical tracks, so i think that that maybe that was 50% non-technical, 50% technical.
Cool to see a sticker on the sticker table of a new technology that we are using, Symmmetrics
The event was a good experience to see how different companies and developers got involved on the Opensource world.
Stay tuned to feedback of experiences on the different events that Rootstack attends.